If you have found the information on these pages useful, you might like to contribute to the costs involved 

 

 

Marjory Miln Miller

F, #469, b. 25 January 1847, d. 18 June 1871
  • Occupation*: Marjory was Flax & Jute Powerloom Weaver.
  • Baptism*: She was baptised on 25 January 1847 at Tay Square United Presbyterian Church, Dundee, Angus, Scotland.1
  • Church Records*: She was recorded in Tay Square Church baptismal record book on 25 January 1847 with James Miller and Janet Milne.2
  • Baptism: Marjory Miln Miller was baptised on 25 January 1847 at Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland; baptism also registered at Tay Square Church, Dundee.3
  • She was the daughter of James Miller and Janet Milne.
  • (Bride) Marriage*: Marjory Miln Miller married David Blair Whittet, son of George Whittet and Margaret Blair, on 30 December 1869 at 18 Lowdens Alley, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1870 Marriages in the District of St Peter in the Burgh of Dundee, #4; 1869 on the 30th day of December at 18 Lowdens Alley, Dundee after Banns according to the forms of the UP Church; David Whittet, Joiner Journeyman, bachelor, aged 25, 14 Mid Wynd Dundee; Father George Whittet, Ship Carpenter; Mother Margaret Whittet md Blair; Margery Miller, Jute Power Loom Weaver, spinster, aged 23, 18 Lowdens Alley Dundee; Father James Miller... in Carpet Warehouse; Mother Janet Miller ms Milne; Signed James R ... minister UP Church Tay Square; Witness Henry Chalmers; Christina Whittet; registered 1870 January 3rd at Dundee, Jas Young registrar.4
  • (Deceased) Death*: Marjory Miln Miller died on 18 June 1871 at 18 Lowdens Alley, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, at age 24 1871 Deaths in the District of St Peter in the Burgh of Dundee, #279; Marjory Whittet married to David Whittet Joiner Journeyman; 1871 June Eleventh 6h 25m PM 18 Lowdens Alley; Female aged 24 years; Father James Miller Carpet Warehouse Porter; Mother Janet Miller ms Milne; Phthisis Pulmonalis 8 months as certified by Dr Lyell MD F...RCS Edin; Informant David Whittet widower present; registered 1871 June 12th at Dundee Jas Young Registrar.5
  • (Spouse) Death: Their spouse David Blair Whittet died on 21 March 1905 at 18 Kincardine Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1905 deaths in the district of St Peter in the burgh of Dundee, ref 106; David Blair Whittet joiner journeyman married to 1) Marjory Miller 2) Elizabeth Gray; 1905 March twenty-first 6h 30m am 18 Kincardine Street Dundee; male aged 57 years; parents George Blair Whittet ship carpenter (dec) and Margaret Whittet ms Blair (dec); chronic intrastitial nephritis 8 months cardiac failure immediate as cert by C S Young MRCS; signed George Blair Whittet son 3 Kincardine Street present; registered 1905 March 21st at Dundee T Y Miller registrar.6

Census Events

Member of Household30 March 1851She was listed as a member of the household of James Miller and Janet Milne in the 1851 census at 17 Small's Wynd, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland. Marjory Miller, daur, unm, 6, Carter's daughter, Dundee; James Miller, head, mar, 32, carter, Dundee; Janet, wife, mar, 27, carter's wife, Dundee.7,8
Member of Household7 April 1861They was listed as a member of the household of James Miller and Janet Milne in the 1861 census at 10 Lowdens Alley, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland. Marjory Miller, daughter, aged 14, unmarried, Flax & Jute Poweloom Weaver, born Dundee Forfarshire; Parish of Liff, Parliamentary Burgh of Dundee; 10 Lowdens Alley; James Miller, head, married, aged 40, Warehouseman flax & jute factory, born Dundee Forfarshire; Janet Miller, wife, married, aged 37, born Dundee Forfarshire.9
Last Edited: 15 Aug 2018

Parents:

Father*: James Miller b. 23 May 1817, d. 14 Jun 1881
Mother*: Janet Milne b. 22 Dec 1823, d. 6 Jun 1896

Family:

David Blair Whittet b. c 1847, d. 21 Mar 1905
  • (Bride) Marriage*: Marjory Miln Miller married David Blair Whittet, son of George Whittet and Margaret Blair, on 30 December 1869 at 18 Lowdens Alley, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1870 Marriages in the District of St Peter in the Burgh of Dundee, #4; 1869 on the 30th day of December at 18 Lowdens Alley, Dundee after Banns according to the forms of the UP Church; David Whittet, Joiner Journeyman, bachelor, aged 25, 14 Mid Wynd Dundee; Father George Whittet, Ship Carpenter; Mother Margaret Whittet md Blair; Margery Miller, Jute Power Loom Weaver, spinster, aged 23, 18 Lowdens Alley Dundee; Father James Miller... in Carpet Warehouse; Mother Janet Miller ms Milne; Signed James R ... minister UP Church Tay Square; Witness Henry Chalmers; Christina Whittet; registered 1870 January 3rd at Dundee, Jas Young registrar.4

Child:

Jessie Miller Whittet b. 2 Oct 1870, d. 31 Jul 1871
  • (Witness) HistoricalBackground: The Gazetteer of Scotland published by W Chalmers in 1803 gives this description of the Parish of Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie : The united parishes are about 3 miles in length and nearly the same breadth. The surface rises with an easy ascent from the Tay, except towards the south west where it joins to the parish of Dundee. The higher ground forms a ridge, stretching obliquely in a direction from East to West, and behind is an extensive tract of muir, where there are some plantations, but no marks of cultivation. The muir is bounded by the water of the Dichty, which rises in the parish of Lundie, and runs south and east through the valley of Strathmartin. There are several villages, viz, Locheye, Millhouse, Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie: the latter is noted as the site of the first Christian church erected on the north side of the river Tay.


    The first Statistical Account of Scotland for the parish of “Liff and Bervie (sic)” written around 1792 by the then incumbent of the parish church, the Rev. Mr Thomas Constable, describes the parish in great detail. He states that the union of the parishes of Liff and Bervie happened in November 1758 and that Liff comprehended the old parishes of Logie and Invergowrie; both of which, as appears from the records of the kirk-session, were united to it before the middle of last century (which of course was sometime during the 17th century). From his descriptions, it seems that the amalgamated parish included parts of Lochee (written then as Locheye, although the pronunciation probably hasn’t changed) and Balgay Hill. Describing the land to the east of Balgay Hill he says it is either wholly planted or cultivated, and a low narrow dale, extending from thence westward through the village of Bervie …Along this agreeable exposure, are interspersed houses, trees, and fields in culture. Talking of the watercourses in the parish he describes the burn of Invergowrie, and here, in the months of March and April, sea-trout are sometimes found of 4lbs weight.

    Commenting on the population, the Rev Constable notes that in cases of marriage here, it often happens, that the man is far less advanced in life than the woman he marries. The former depends much on the experience of the latter, and generally too on the savings of her industry, to enable him to begin with some comfort a married life: This disparity of years happening on the side of the woman, must needs be a hinderance to population. And in a footnote he continues The register of baptisms … is not to be considered as giving an accurate account of the births in it. Children that are still-born, or die unbaptized are never mentioned in the public register; besides there are parents, who sometimes from neglect, and sometime from parsimony, do not insert in it their childrens’ names, and by Dissenters this duty is often omitted entirely. He is equally critical of the recording of deaths – particularly due to a perceived rivalry over mortcloths with the church at Logie in the neighbouring parish of Dundee!

    There then follows lengthy discourse on the state of the land, the methods employed in the agriculture of the time, the prices paid for horses for the plough and the numbers of “milch cows”. The areas described as Locheye and Milehouse (so called to mark the distance from Dundee) seems to have housed various manufacturers, mainly of the course linens, known from their breadth as “yard wides” and “three quarter wides”.

    Familiar place and road names pop up throughout the text – Pitalpin ; known then as Pitalpie or Pit of Alpin and ascribed to being the scene of a memorable engagement in the 9th century between the Picts and Scots in which the latter were routed and Alpin their king slain. Apparently the king’s head was transported to Abernethy for public viewing, but his body was buried at Pitalpie. On top of a small hill east of Pitalpie there was still visible a stone called the King’s Cross.

    The parochial school averaged 35 scholars, but it was noted that it was extremely difficult for the children to attend during the winter months as the roads were almost impassable. It appears that this was viewed by Mr Constable as a meagre school roll and he states the whole emoluments are too inconsiderable for a teacher of any merit or capacity. And he regarded the five private schools as for the most part indifferently taught. The poor did not seem the cause any major difficulty, seeming to have been provided for in the usual way from the income of the church from mortcloth hiring, proclamations of marriage, rents of a few seats in the church and collections at the church door.


    In the Second Statistical Account written in September 1842 by the Rev. George Addison, DD, minister of the parish of Liff and Benvie we find some clarification (and disagreement with the Gazetteer of earlier years – or maybe there were further boundary changes) of the extent of the parish. He admits that the lands of Logie, Balgay and Blackness are indeed part of the parish and that a considerable portion of the suburbs of Dundee to the west and north is built on these lands. But dismisses unreservedly the inhabitants of the parish of Logie … as … having, from time immemorial, been connected with Dundee, quoad spiritualia, it will not be necessary to take any further notice of this part of the united parish! He also notes that for nearly two centuries the minister of Dundee had received an annual payment of twelve bolls of barley … expressly for the sacraments and marriage to the heritors and inhabitants of the lands of Balgay and Logie, and the lands of Blackness. Mr Addison describes the parish as situated at the south-west corner of the county of Forfar, being bounded on the west by the parishes of Fowlis Easter and Longforgan (both in Perthshire) on the on the South, by the river Tay; on the east, by Dundee and the United parish of Mains and Strathmartine; and on the north, by the Dighty, a small river which divides it from the parishes of Auctherhouse and Lundie. The extent is about 6 miles from east to west, and 4 miles from north to south. … There is no river in the parish. … Near the village of Benvie is a spring strongly impregnated with iron. It was formerly in great repute as a tonic, and was applied externally in cutaneous disorders, but is now entirely neglected.

    There is tremendous discussion of the geology of the area, involving red and gray sandstone and a discovery of fossil organic remains in the den of Balruddery by Mr Webster, the proprietor. It is noted that there is nothing very peculiar or rare in the botany of this parish … but … the romantic dells and glens which abound in this neighbourhood are, in the season, richly clothed with the most beautiful plants and flowers.

    There are four mansion houses briefly described – the House of Gray (owned by the Rt Hon Lord Gray), Camperdown House (the Rt Hon Earl of Camperdown), the mansion house at Invergowrie (Alexander Clayhills, Esq) and Balruddery House (Robert Webster, Esq). Other land-owners are noted as Frederick Lewis Scrimgeour Wedderburn, Esq. of Wedderburn and Birkhill, William Henderson, Esq. Of Mylnefield, Mr Thomas Watson, Liff and Mr James Waddel.

    The population is discussed and from this it is apparent that some form of census was taken at irregular intervals from the middle eighteenth century, if not earlier. Genealogists are aware of nation-wide 10-yearly censuses taken from 1801, but are advised that the first one of any real benefit to them is the 1841 census. But it is interesting to read that the wrangle over the village of Lochee continues … that village now being politically connected with Dundee, or within the Parliamentary boundary, the population at the last census (June 1841) was taken in connection with Dundee, and not with this parish. On that account, the precise amount of the inhabitants of Lochee is not known to me; but it cannot be under 3000 souls. Mr Addison, in his concern with the moral and secular welfare of the parish, notes that seven illegitimate children were born within the parish in the previous three years, but in most cases the parents married afterwards; that three of the patients in the Dundee Lunatic Asylum are parishioners, as is one in the care of a family at the expense of the kirk-session and five by their relations; and that a brother and sister are deaf and dumb. He generously states that the character of the people is by and large peaceable and industrious, and, with a few marked exceptions, sober.

    As to manufacture – Within the last sixteen or seventeen years, three spinning mills have been erected in the village of Lochee, and one at Denmiln, in the parish. Whatever advantages may accrue from these establishments, they have a very unfortunate effect on the morals and pauperism of the community. The chief, if not sole, product was coarse linen, principally for exportation, which had supplanted the weaving of household linen. Hand-spinning was almost obsolete. Many employed in the spinning and weaving found they had to supplement their income with agricultural employment when they could get it, mainly in spring and at the harvest time. Addison estimates that around 2000 folk in Lochee were employed in manufacture at this time and comments … The depressed state of the linen trade, for some time past, has been severely felt by the operatives in this quarter. Many families have, in consequence, been brought to a state of indigence and destitution. But he states elsewhere … At Bullion, near Invergowrie, an extensive work for bleaching and dying yarn and cloth has lately been established. The necessary erections have been made with great care, and at considerable expense. There is on the premises a water-wheel of 14 horses’ power, and a steam-engine of 6. A gasometer has been fitted up solely for the use of the work.

    For the farmers, trade was brisk with near-by Dundee. Weavers and the like were persuaded by low feus to take up Mr Wedderburn of Birkhill’s offer of small portions of land on the turnpike road to Meigle and Coupar-Angus giving them a convenient location for their trade.

    In about 1830, at last the parochial school was moved to a far better, but undisclosed, location (the writer assumes all readers will know where it is (the present spot)!) but it was recognised that having the school at Denmiln was most inconvenient and almost inaccessible in winter. Another school was built, in the questionable Lochee, in 1837. The year before the Account was written, a “school of industry” for young females was initiated under the patronage of Countess of Camperdown. In total, about 500 children were receiving education of some sort in the parish at this time.

    Mr Addison describes his concern over the steep rise in pauperism, with the need in 1841 to recourse to a legal method of assessment. Including the upkeep of the inmates of the Lunatic Asylum and the fatherless babies, he indicates that 49 folk required some sort of aid, with an average of 7 shillings per head per month spent. He is critical of the apparent moneygrubbing attitude that prevailed, and in particular, the difficulty of bringing absent fathers to account – nothing in this world is new!

    His last comments support the recurring theme of “bad Lochee”! The number of public-houses in the parish of Liff proper is four, situated generally at considerable distances from each other. In Lochee there are at least twelve, including shops where spirits are sold, both in and out of doors. Poor old degenerate Lochee!10,11,12

Citations

  1. [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index), C190121.
  2. [S21] Headstone Photograph; , Tay Square Church records at Dundee City Coucil Archives [Sept 2017].
  3. [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI), 7606131.
  4. [S64] Unknown subject, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland: General Record Office of Scotland), GROS stautory marriages 1870 St Peter Dundee, #4 [Jun 2004].
  5. [S50] Unknown subject, International Genealogical Index (IGI) (New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland: General Record Office of Scotland), GROS statutory deaths 1871 St Peter, Dundee #279 [Jun 2004].
  6. [S50] International Genealogical Index (IGI), GROS statutory deaths 1905 St Peter Dundee 282/01 0106 [Sept 2011].
  7. [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Mar 2007 282/00 0023/00 025 [June 2006].
  8. [S9] Website Ancestry.co.uk (www.ancestry.co.uk) Source Citation: Parish: Dundee; ED: 23; Page: 19; Line: ; Roll: 1175; Year: 1851. Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1851 Scotland Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data: Scotland. 1851 Scotland Census. Reels 1-217. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland. [May 2011]
  9. [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, Parish of Liff, Parliamentary Burgh of Dundee; 10 Lowdens Alley.
  10. [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) http://www.genuki.org.uk/node/98277.
  11. [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/app/index.html#/viewer/osa-vol13-Parish_record_for_Liff_and_Benvie_in_the_county_of_Forfar_in_volume_13_of_account_1/?search=liff
  12. [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/app/index.html#/viewer/nsa-vol11-Parish_record_for_Liff_and_Benvie_in_the_county_of_Forfar_in_volume_11_of_account_2/?search=liff