- Birth*: Daniel Preston was born on 25 February 1892 at 9 North Lindsay Street, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; image held; 1892 Preston, Daniel ref 282/02 0154; 1892 births in the district of St Mary in the burgh of Dundee; #154; Daniel Preston; 1892 February twenty-fifth 4h 0m am 9 North Lindsay Street Dundee; m; James Preston powerloom tenter Agnes Preston ms Barr 1877 June 15th Dundee; James Preston father present [Jan 2008].
- He was the son of James Preston and Agnes Barr.
- (Groom) Marriage*: Daniel Preston married Jessie Milne Miller, daughter of William Miller jute powerloom tenter and Marion McKenzie Conway jute weaver, on 3 June 1916 at 13 Inverary Terrace, Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, ; 1916 marriages in the district of St Mary in the burgh of Dundee, ref 169; 1916 on the third day of June at 13 Inverary Terrace Dundee after publication according to the forms of the Baptist Church; signed Daniel Preston powerloom tenter bachelor, aged 25, residing 3 Watt Street Dundee, parents James Preston powerloom tenter and Agnes Preston ms Raw; signed Jessie M Whitton jute weaver widow, aged 29, residing 9 Forrest Park Road Dundee, parents William Miller jute factory overseer and Marion Miller ms Conway; signed Walter Richards baptist minister, Alexander Miller, Isabella Wilkie witnesses; registered 1916 June 5th at Dundee Thos Meek registrar.1
- (Deceased) Death*: Daniel Preston died in December 1983 at Astoria, Queens, New Jersey, USA, , at age 91 most likely record SSN 058-01-3287; IGI, Family Tree Legends, rootsweb [Jan 2008]; extracted record US SSDI; Preston, Daniel; SSn 058-01-3287 applied for in New York; dod Dec 1983; dob 25 1892; residence (2/88 and prior) New York; last residence 9zip) 11105 Long Island City, Queens, NY; Kindred Konnections at www.mytrees.com or kindredconnections.com [feb 2008].
- Emigration*: He and Olympic Ship emigrated on 27 October 1920 from Southampton, England, ; Preston, Daniel, travelling 2nd class, contracted to land at New York, occupation tenter, age 28, last permanent residence Scotland, intended future permanent residence USA; Preston, Jessie, travelling 2nd class, contracted to land at New York, hwife, age 32, last permanent residence Scotland, intended future permanent residence USA.2
- Immigration*: Daniel Preston and Olympic Ship immigrated on 3 November 1920 to Bayone, New Jersey, USA, ; Preston, Daniel, aged 28 years, male, married, power loom tender, able to read English, able to write, nationality Gr Brit, race Scotch, last permanent residence Scotland Dundee, nearest relative from county alien came Sister-in-law Miss L Miller Forest Park Road Dundee, final destination NJ Bayone (?) has ticket to such final destination, passage paid by self, in posessionof $50, in the United States before in 1912 and 1914, going to join sister Mrs Coutts 41 E 10th Street Bayone NJ, purpose of coming to United States - does not intend to return to country whence he come after staying temporaily in ... ... in the United States, in tends to stay States, intends to become a citizen of United States, never in prison or almshouses or ... for care and treatment of the insane or supported by charity, not a polygamist, not an anarchist, not a person who believesin or advocates the overthrow by fear or violence of the Government of the United States or all forms of law etc (see footnote for full text of this question, not coming by reason of any offer..., promise, or agreement, expressed or implied, in labor in the United States, not been previously deported within one year, in good health, mental and physical, not deformed or crippled, 5ft 7inches tall, fair complexion, brown hair, grey eyes, no marks of identification, born Scotland Dundee; Line 15 Preston, Jessie Miller, aged 32 years, female, married, wife, able to read English, able to write, nationality Gr Brit, race Scotch, last permanent residence Scotland Dundee, nearest relative from county alien came Sister Miss L Miller Forest Park Road Dundee, fianl destination NJ Bayone (?) has ticket to such final destination, passage paid by husband, in posession of $50, never in the United States before, going to join Sister-in-Law Mrs Coutts 41 E 10th Street Bayone NJ, purpose of coming to United States - does not intend to return to country whence he come after staying temporaily in ... ... in the United States, in tends to stay permanently in the United States, intends to become a citizen of United States, never in prison or almshouses or ... for care and treatment of the insane or supported by charity, not a polygamist, not an anarchist, not a person who believesin or advocates the overthrow by fear or violence of the Government of the United States or all forms of law etc (see footnote for full text of this question, not coming by reason of any offer..., promise, or agreement, expressed or implied, in labor in the United States, not been previously deported within one year, in good health, mental and physical, not deformed or crippled, 5ft 6inches tall, pale complexion, brown hair, brown eyes, no marks of identification, born Scotland Dundee.3
- Milit-Beg*: Daniel Preston began military service on 26 April 1942 at Old City Hall Bldg, Elizabeth N 1, Union, New Jersey, USA, , ancestry.co.uk US World War II Draft Registration Cards 1942; name Daniel Preston, birth date 25 Feb 1892, residence Union, New Jersey, birth Dundee Scotland, race white, roll WWII_2274273; registration card (men born on or after April 28 1877 and on or before February 16 1897), serial number U1784, name Daniel Preston, place of residence 460 Monroe Ave, Elizabeth, Union, NJ, mailing address same, telephone none, age in years 50, place of birth Dundee, date of birth Feb 25 1892, name and address of person who will always know your address Mrs Jessie Preston, 460 Monroe Ave, Elizabeth, NJ, employers name and address Brown-Wheelock, Harris, Stevens, inc. 14E 47th St NYC, place of employment or business 450 West End Ave, New York, NY, NY; I affirm that I have verified above answers and that they are true Daniel Preston; reverse - registrar's report, description of registrant - race white, height approx 5'7", weight approx 135, eyes blue, hair brown, complexion light; U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
Ancestry.com. U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: United States, Selective Service System. Selective Service Registration Cards, World War II: Fourth Registration. National Archives and Records Administration Branch locations: National Archives and Records Administration Region Branches.
About U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
The U.S. officially entered World War II on 8 December 1941 following an attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Just about a year before that, in October 1940, President Roosevelt had signed into law the first peacetime selective service draft U.S. history, due to rising world conflicts. After the U.S. entered WWII a new selective service act required that all me between ages 18 and 65 register for the draft. Between November 1940 and October 1946, over 10 million American men were registered.
This database is an indexed collection of the draft cards from the Fourth Registration, the only registration currently available to the public (the other registrations are not available due to privacy laws). The Fourth Registration, often referred to as the "old man's registration", was conducted on 27 April 1942 and registered men who born on or between 28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897 - men who were between 45 and 64 years old - and who were not already in the military. [feb 2008]
- Photograph*: Jessie Milne Miller and Daniel Preston are in this photograph taken say 1957.4
- [S64] Interview with General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland). General Record Office of Scotland (New Register House, Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS statutory marriage 1916 St Mary Dundee, ref 169, image held [Jul 2004].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) findmypast.com passenger lists leaving UK 1890-1960; merchant shipping act 1906 and Aliens Act 1905, Outgoing passengers, returns of passengers leaving the United Kingdom in ships bound for places out of Europe, and not within the Mediterranean Sea; port of embarkation Southampton, date of embarkation 27th oct '20; steamship line - White Star; names and descriptions of BRITISH passengers embarked at the port of Southampton; contract ticket number 215001.
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) to USA on the SS Olympic sailing from Southampton October 27th 1920 arriving New York 3 November 1920; list or manifest of alien passengers for the United States immigration officer at port of arrival; All aliens arriving at a port of continental United States from a foreign port or a port of the insular possessions of the United States, and all aliens arriving at a port of said insular possessions from a foreign port, a port of continental United States, or a port of another insular possession, in whatsoever class they travel, MUST be fully listed and the master or commanding officer of each vessel carrying such passengers must upon arrival deliver lists thereof to the immigration officer. This (yellow) sheet is for the listing of SECOND-CABIN PASSENGERS ONLY. Line 14; [src Ellis Island Jan 2008].
- [S43] LB [Feb 2018].
- [S49] Website Web Site online (www.) Image held; department of Commerce - Bureau of the Census, Fifteenth Census of the United States: 1930 Population Schedule; State New Jersey, County Union, township Union, enum distr 20/167, supervisors dist no 8, sheet no 1A, enumerated by me on April 2, 1920, Alice S Glendinning enumerator.
Bruce, Elizabeth c1733 descendants
Carson, Jane c 1780 descendants
Carson, Jane c 1790 descendants
Conway, Hugh c 1780 descendants
Fisher, Charles c1765 descendants
Maitland, Agnes c1766 descendants
Matthew, James c1765 descendants
McConnell, Helen c1765 descendants
McKenzie, Robert c1770 descendants
McWilliam, William c1765 descendants
Miller, Peter c1749 descendants
Milne, James c1765 descendants
Paterson, Agnes c1765 descendants
Pollock, Marion c1770 descendants
Robertson, David c1740 descendants
Stephen, Janet c1750 descendants
Waugh, James c1790 descendants