- Birth*: Janet Adamson was born on 8 August 1862 at Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland.1
- She was the daughter of James Adamson and Agnes Burnet.
- (Informant) Birth: Janet Adamson registered the birth of Henry Dall Adamson on 1 July 1884 at 28 South Street, Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1884 births in the district of Forfar in the county of Forfar, ref 270; Henry Dall Adamson illegitimate, born 1884 July 1st 5h 30m am 28 South Street Forfar, male, mother Jessie Adamson factory linen worker, signed Jessie Adamson mother, registered 1884 July 21st at Forfar signed W H Thomson; margin note : paternity of child proved by dec of Court. See reg of Corr Entries Vol III p 210 31st Dec 1884.2
- (Witness) Birth RCE: Janet Adamson witnessed the death of Henry Dall Adamson on 2 October 1884 at Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland; Page 210 Register of Corrected Entries [annotated: April 20th 1885 + initials] for the district of Forfar in the county of Forfar.
In the Fourth Column of Entry no 270 in the Register Book of Births, for the year 1884, before the name of the Child's Mother insert William Smith Factory Worker, on the authority of a Certificate in the form of Schedule (F) to the following effect:-
In an action relating to the paternity of a male child born 1st July 1884, at the insistance of Jessie Adamson, factory worker, residing at number twenty eight South Street, Forfar, defender, the Sheriff Substitute of the County of Forfar (Forfar District) on the 2nd day of October 1884, found that the said child was the illegitimate Child of the said Jessie Adamson & William Smith.
31st Decemer 1884 at Forfar signed W H Thomson registrar.3
- (Bride) Marriage*: Janet Adamson married David Boyle, son of Helen Boyle, on 4 August 1887 at 30 South Street, Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland; 1887 marriages in the district of Forfar in the county of Forfar; ref 58; 1887 on the Fourth day of August at 30 South Street Forfar after banns according to the forms of the Episcopal Church in Scotland; David Boyle factory linen worker bachelor, 25, 7 Market Place Forfar, Helen Boyle factory linen worker (dec); Jessie Adamson factory linen worker spinster, 24, 30 South Street Forfar, James Adamson linen weaver, Agnes Adamson ms Burnet; J M Aldridge incumbent of St John's Forfar, Alexander Raitt, Elizabeth McKenzie, witnesses; 1887 August 8th at Forfar W H Thomson regsitrar.4
- (Deceased) Death*: Janet Adamson died on 9 May 1888 at 30 South Street, Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland, at age 25 1888 deaths in the district of Forfar in the county of Forfar, ref 126; Jessie Boyle, married to David Boyle factory line worker, 1888 May 9th 1h 15m am 30 South Street Forfar, f, 25 years, fath James Adamson linen weaver, moth Agnes Adamson ms Burnett, died of phthisis pulmonalis 1 year 6 months as cert by J Cable LRCP, signed David Boyle widower, registered 1888 May 9th at Forfar signed W H Thomson registrar.5
- (Witness) Memorial Inscription: She is commemorated on the headstone erected by Janet Gardiner Neave in 1877 at Newmonthill Cemetery, Forfar, Forfarshire, Scotland. Inscription reads Mitchell pre-1855 MI Forfar Cemetery ref 73; David Adamson 24.4.1872 75, w Jant Gardener Neave 1.6.1880 72, chn David 1.6.1835 5, Jean 20.6.1835 3, s Jas (chn Eliz 13.4.1859 4, Annie 28.5.1870 3, David 27.12.1880 28); Whole text from the stone reads: 1877 erected by Janet Gardener Neave in memory of her husband David Adamson who died 24th April 1872 aged 75 years, and of their children David died 1st June 1835 aged 5 years, Jean died 20th June 1835 aged 3 years, the said Janet Gardiner Neave died 1st June 1880 aged 72 years, her son James's children Elizabeth died 13th April 1859 aged 4 years, Annie died 28th May 1870 aged 3 years, David died 27th December 1880 aged 28 years, and his grand-children Jessie Adamson died 12th January 1881 aged 5 months; and on the back of the stone; Agnes Jessie died 12th January 1882 aged 8 weeks, his daughter Jessie died 5th May 1888 aged 26 years, his son Alexander died 2nd June 1889 aged 28 years, Agnes Burnet his wife died 24th June 1889 aged 61 years, the said James Adamson died 31st December 1894 aged 65 years, Margaret Kinnear wife of David Adamson died 31st May 1928 aged 72 years, Agnes Adamson wife of James Whyte died 8th February 1935 aged 66 years, James Whyte husband of Agnes Adamson died 22nd December 1896 aged 66 years.6,7
- [S1] International Genealogical Index (IGI) (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: International Genealogical Index).
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Birth 1884 Forfar ref 288/00 0270, image held [Aug 2004].
- [S14] General Record Office for Scotland, GROS Statutory Birth RCE 1884 Forfar ref 288/00 0270, image held [Apr 2015].
- [S64] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Marriage 1887 Forfar ref 58, image held [Aug 2004].
- [S50] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Statutory Death 1888 Forfar ref 126 image held [Aug 2004].
- [S21] Headstone Photograph; , PCC.
- [S42] Alison Mitchell ed. Monumental Inscriptions pre-1855 Angus Strathmore vol 1, Scottish Genealogy Society, Edinburgh, first ed (1979, reprint 1993 & 1996) 0 901061 20 4 Forfar Cemetery pg 132 ref 73 [Apr 2015].
- [S17] General Record Office for Scotland, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, General Record Office for Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland), GROS Census 1871 Forfar [Aug 2005].
- [S30] LDS 1881 Census.
Mother*: Agnes Burnet b. 5 May 1828, d. 24 Jun 1889
My Adamson Folk - descendant chart
Adamson, David c1765 descendants
Burnet, Alexander c1768 descendants
Crighton, John c 1731 descendants
Doughtie, William c1700 descendants
Galoway, Rebeca c1720 descendants
Hall, Jannet c1770 descendants
Mackie, Janet c1804 descendants
Mennons, John c1720 descendants
Neave, James c1756 descendants
Richie, Agnes c1700 descendants
Strang, Agnes c1768 descendants
Strang, Agnes c1768 descendants